Search the LTC Blog

Looking for a specific blog title or subject? Want to Google further information on something you've read? Search for it here!
Simply type in a title or keyword and search.



Search the LTC Blog

Monday, August 1, 2011

How many children do you have?

"How many children do you have?"

This question seemed like an easy one to answer... prior to losing Aiden. 

Now, this question seemed so complex; almost unanswerable.

If I say four, will I have to go into detail?
If I say three, does that mean I am denying my son?

To be honest, I've answered the question both ways. 

There are times that I simply cannot speak about SIDS, or what happened to my son without breaking down; my rough patches.   At those times, I know that I am not capable of explaining what happened to Aiden; so I simply don't.

Does this mean I am denying my son, his existence, his life?  Absolutely not. 

The harsh reality is, I will be reminded everyday that my son lived... and died.  I will be reminded everyday that there is a hole in my heart that will never heal.  I will be reminded everyday, when I look at my living children, of how much I miss my son.  How could I deny that?

There are times when I don't want to or simply can't explain the tragedy of my son's death, explain what SIDS is, all while bawling to the Avon lady I just met.  And THAT IS OKAY. 

Revealing such personal grief is a choice that only you can make. 

- Jes

3 comments:

  1. I am the same way. People ask how many children I have and I always want to say 2 beautiful boys, but I've had bad experiences with telling people about my son dying of SIDS. One person responded with saying I was sick for telling them that but I couldn't help it. I feel like Im pretending Kristopher was never here if I don't acknowledge him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post...we are reminded every day that our son lived...and died. I hate this question because of the guilt but have learned to answer it and not be afraid to cry if people ask :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true! I feel the same way. I never want to deny the fact that I have a beautiful son who died and left his twin sister behind. And I have had the same expirences like talking about it to someone I barely know and crying or just not being able to say a word.
    All I can say is that I miss my sweet baby boy every day. And always will- I love you Mason Drew Devasher

    ReplyDelete